Friday, March 21, 2014

Southern Comfort

Definitely spring in Louisiana.  The trees are budding, the flowers are blooming, the giant mosquitoes that don't bite are flying and the temperatures are beautiful.  For all my friends still stuck in the frigid wasteland of Wisconsin, I feel your pain. 

There are a lot of things that are hard to cope with here in the south.  Lack of social services, poor roads, no sidewalks, chemical pollution, terrible public education,  insane politicians; well, the list is endless, but it does not include bad weather.  Yes we may get a hurricane or two, and absolutely, the summer is hot, sticky, humid and oppressive; but I really don't mind summer.  I've been cold for most of my life; being a little hot once in awhile is a supremely welcome alternative.

I have met some very wonderful people since I moved here.  It's no small feat to move to a new place at this rather late stage of life (I prefer to call it the very far end of middle-age, but in reality, it's the very beginning of my golden years).  It's not easy to make friends, but I've made a couple of friends who are extraordinarily kind and lovely people. 

I'm truly blessed.  It's March, and I'm driving around with my windows open.  I'm wearing sandals.  New Orleans is about 50 minutes from my front door.  The gulf is about two hours away.  I haven't seen a snow flake in almost a year.  Life is good.  And I'm glad I traded the north for the south. 

No comments: