Monday, July 13, 2020

Can We Really Disagree - and Still Be Friends?

I, as most people do, tend to have friends with similar values and perspectives.  It's not that I can't be friends with radically different people - I am, and have learned much from their experiences - but not so much with my close friendships......the people I invite into my house for dinner.

The political signs saying "We can Disagree and Still be Friends" moves me to despair.  And here is why.

If you support Donald Trump at this stage of the game, you are okay with children being torn from their parents and caged at the border.

If you still support Donald Trump, you are okay with criminals getting pardoned for crimes against America.

If you still support Donald Trump, you are okay with incompetence, ineptitude and ignorance sitting in the oval office.

If you still support Donald Trump, you are okay with treasonous interference in our elections.

If you still support Donald Trump, you are okay with thousands of people dying because he failed to act during a worldwide pandemic.

If you still support Donald Trump, you are okay with sending your children back to school where they are most certainly going to be infected with COVID19.

If you still support Donald Trump at this stage of the game, you are saying to me that corruption, thievery and racism is perfectly acceptable in your world, and you actually admire it.

If you still support Donald Trump, environmental devastation does not bother you.

So, if you voted for Donald Trump in 2016, well, you just were too lazy and too ignorant to do your homework about him, and I can get over it and move on.

But if you are still supporting Donald Trump, I don't want you in my life.  I just can't stomach the kind of person you are, and I can't reconcile who you are with who I thought you were.

So if you still support Donald Trump, after all the catastrophic disaster created by one incompetent blunderer, I won't be inviting you over for dinner.  Ever.  I probably will miss you.  But I don't think I love you anymore.








No comments: