Sunday, July 22, 2012

Up North

If you're a Wisconsinite, you know what up north means.  It means, anywhere that's not a city, anyplace that doesn't have a movie theatre, a place where the grocery store closes promptly at 6 p.m. and an incredible silence unbroken by police sirens.

I decided to convalesce from my appendectomy at my little cabin in the northwoods.  It was not a mistake, although sitting for 4 1/2 hours in a car bothered me a little, and made my injured knee stiff and sore.  Still, it was worth it.  On Friday morning, I woke up to the sound of loons.  Coffee on the deck overlooking a pristine and beautifully peaceful lake was just what I needed.  Beautiful and hot weather was perfect because the lake was wonderfully cool and refreshing.  Even though I didn't have the stamina to swim across the lake, I still got out there in the middle and let all my cares disappear in the warm sun and cool water. 

I'm really taking awhile to fully recover.  I still have a lot of pain in my chest from my lung situation.  My digestive tract, which has been surgically diminshed numerous times now, is still not quite right.  I don't seem to have any motivation for anything.  I wish I could have stayed at my cabin and just gone through with what I'm now technically calling my exploratory depression.  Guess I'll have to do it here in the city.  I should just take my own advice - get f*cking over yourself - which I like to say to people who whine constantly.  Maybe I'll try it for the next week and see what happens.

Meanwhile, even in the northwoods, I was treated to the latest media blitz of psycho killer at the movie theatre.  This news shocks a person, but as Americans, we almost come to expect some bizarre character shooting up our sense of security on a regular basis.   I am really sick of Hollywood strangling to death every action movie that ever did well with prequels and sequels and bombardment of a theme.  I understand that money is Hollywood's goal, not creative or well conceived movies.  Still, was Mr. Holmes fed up with super hero movies, much the way I am?  Well, the second amendment is alive and well in Colorado, that's for sure.  We have the right to arm ourselves to the teeth, but to what purpose do we exercise that right?  I still don't own my very own gun, although if they made a pink metal Hello Kitty snub nose .38, I would definitely buy it. 

The NRA promotes gun ownership and arming ourselves.  But even if we do, do we take our weapons with us to see a movie?  There have been many movies where I felt like shooting the screen up about half way though, but not my fellow moviegoers. 

Another story of yet another American citizen f*cked up beyond all recognition.  Are we all going to look like this with the passage of ever-increasing violent times and more gun rights protection laws?

No comments: