Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Freaky Phone Calls

Alright, now I'm just a tad bit worried.

I got a phone call from someone who identified herself as a survey person wanting to ask me questions about my community (which I've lived in for 3 months).  I advised her I was a poor subject for her survey, but she insisted I'd do just fine.

The questions were pretty innocuous at first, what did I think of the city, did they do enough for the citizens, blah blah blah, and I couldn't really even honestly answer; I just don't know yet.

But then the questions took a turn that was really scary; all about the petro-chemical plants that dot the highway where I live.  Did I know what to do in case of a toxic release?  Where would I get my information during an environmental emergency?  Who should notify me that deadly toxic fumes are invading my neighborhood, the city or the chemical plant?  Do the chemical plants do enough to protect citizens?  It just went on and on and I'm now totally freaked out about what safeguards these companies do take, and what Louisiana does to protect its citizens as opposed to what Louisiana gives companies to build their potentially deadly plants here.  To err on the side of caution, I said the chemical plants aren't doing enough and need to do more and that the environment was my number one concern, not jobs or salaries.

So, at the very least, I may have a different shade of skin or eyes in the next decade.  That wouldn't be so bad in my opinion.  However, I may drop dead when I walk out the front door from some toxic release at a chemical plant accident; and the city nor the plant could decide who was going to let me know not to go outside; that I'd be safe in my house for 45 minutes or so before death came creeping in.

Life is challenging here in Louisiana.  It's like you're given an option -- be healthy or get a pay check; no compromise.  Very unsettling.  Very Jindal.  Very bad.


No comments: