Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It Must Be Spring Somewhere

Winter is really dug in here in Wisconsin.  To stay, it would seem.  All of Wisconsin seems to be in an icy death grip by a season that just won't quit.

All of you out there in America's Dairyland who are as fed up as I am with this climate have my utmost sympathy.  I have a real bad case of cabin fever.  I hate white and gray, which were once two of my favorite colors.  The City of Milwaukee looks like a big greasy black snow cone.

It is a cruel month, to say the least, and every day the weatherman brings more. 

My cat's internal clock is telling him its spring; he meows at the backdoor and insists on being let out.  He has hibernated all winter; I've never seen anything sleep quite the way my cat sleeps all winter long.  Alas, he was outside for all of one minute today.  When I opened the back door he leaped in, clearing three steps in a single bound and made a beeline for my bed with its angora blanket, which someday I may actually get to use.  For the moment, it belongs to Muggle.  I don't have the heart to remove him from it.  As if he'd let me.

My dog is failing and it is time to address the fact her life is not good and we should help her.  My husband and I are heartbroken, but are slowly coming to terms with the loss of a good and faithful friend.  Still, she is sleeping on the floor, blind, confused, unhappy, and we are trying to resolve our own (somewhat selfish?) needs with what's best for her.  It is an unhappy moment when we lose one of our furry friends and we are procrastinating mightily.  I'm beginning to see that this is the height of insanity.  But we both have to be ready and willing to face the loss. 

Meanwhile, I will bless the day when I finally pack up and move out of this frozen wasteland to a southern climate.  I will make every attempt to never travel north of the Mason/Dixon line anytime from November to May.  I will make it my life's work to never ever see another snowflake as long as I live, unless it's on a mountain top which I'm viewing from a valley far below.  I will burn all my woolen mittens, scarves, winter coats, boots and hats.  I will spend the rest of my life wearing thin little cotton dresses and sandals and lamenting the heat.  My toes will be out; no more socks.  Ever.  I will drink hurricanes and mai tais and icy cold beers and bask in sunshine the rest of my natural born days.  Can't come soon enough.






















5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your pet dog. It's a shame that their life span is shorter than a human's.

Regarding the weather, I would suggest the West Coast of Florida or California. Probably Florida for tax purposes.

Not only is the weather warmer but there is no Scooter Walker, no Paul Ryan, and Michelle Bachmann is further away. The big negative about Florida is Rick Scott but who said that life should be perfect? Otherwise there is Portugal but keep your money in the uS.

Citizen X said...

Yes, you're right. Life span of a dog is way too short. But they sure pack a ton of love and joy in the years they do have. People could learn something. Will anyone miss me as much as they miss their lost pets? Alas. Florida and California, both great places. Never been to Portugal. I think my utopia will be New Orleans -- sooner or later.

AlexisAR said...

I'm eighteen and on my second dog. I, too, wish their lives could be longer.

I've never lived in a snowy clime and have spent little enough time in the snow that I've only experienced the positives of it, but I'm realistic enough to understand just how depressing it could be to live in snowy and wintery conditions for long periods of time.

I wouldn't want to live in florida because it's the other extreme too much of the time. The hear and humidity may sound wonderful while sitting in wisconsin in an especially late-springed March, but they could get old fast. i lived there for six months, ad it's one of the few things i remember about it, and that was in florida's good months. California has nice parts. you want to stay out of the mountains if your hate snow, although winters aren't ordinarily especially long there. you might want to avoid the Central Valley (anywhere in the interior of the state from Red Bluff to Bakersfield) as the Tule fog can be oppressive and can extend for long periods of time. Still, other than the air quality aspect of it (the San Joaquin Valley especially has some of the worst air quality in the nation), it's still probably better than a Wisconsin winter. Also, the heat of the Central Valley can be extreme. people ay it's "dry heat,"
but 112-degree heat is hot no matter how dry it is.

Citizen X said...

I guess, after so many years of Wisconsin, I'll be happy to land somewhere warm. We'll keep our lake cottage here to have a place to escape to in summer; but I really can't wait to get out of this frozen wasteland.

Anonymous said...

It was so sad to hear about Tara. But from what you said, you gave her lots of love over the years......and that is what counts.