Friday, August 24, 2012

1984

My husband is re-reading the novel by George Orwell, 1984, which was set in the future and where autocrats (who called themselves Big Brother) ran the world according to the lies they wanted to perpetuate.

Isn't that scary?  Orwell, obviously, was a prophet.

So, here's a few tidbits from that novel, and how it fits in today.

Newspeak.  Newspeak is to rewrite everything to promote the lie Big Brother wanted the submissive masses to believe at the moment.  Any past occurrences would be rewritten to verify the lie of the day.

Here are 1984's and Big Brother's major principals:

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

The only people unscathed and unbothered by Big Brother in 1984, were the proles, who chose to live outside the parameters of the plasticine society, without creature comforts, but without fear of the "Thought Police". 

I am proud to say that in 2012, I am choosing to be a prole and my mind is far too complex for any thought police to penetrate.  But I see what is happening here in America, and although Big Brother is too nice a word for most republican politicians, let's just say we're living in the time of Big Dick. You're being f*cked Amerika.  And you're all too ignorant to know it, but remember, in this time, ignorance is strength!

Excuse me.  Time for me to fill out my passport renewal application.

No comments: