Monday, February 18, 2013

The Lost Weekend.

My sister/friend Helen came to Milwaukee to visit this weekend; bringing that New York energy with her and we had quite the time, hitting the consignment/vintage shops.  I'm a little poorer financially, but so much richer after spending such a good time with such a delightful person.  Needless to say, we found many treasures and bought everything we liked.   Lots of bagfuls.  We may shop the discounts, but we always look like a millions bucks!  I will especially look like a gazillion dollars in my Escada cashmere blazer, for which I paid exactly twenty-three dollars.

The real prize was just knowing this person is in my life and we will have these wonderful times together. 

All I did this weekend was have fun.  Good conversation, good food and great fun driving around.  I took the two shrinks to see Silver Linings Playbook, and I have to say, seeing it the second time for me was as enjoyable as it was the first time.  This is a great movie and sharing it with people who really understand mental illness was a good experience.  I am in love with crazy Bradley Cooper.  And crazy Robert de Niro.  I even have a girl crush on crazy Jennifer Lawrence.  People.....go see this movie.  Somehow, you walk out of the theatre with the most amazing feeling; and it's quite a mystery how you attained it.  Some movies just do that to you.

This is how much I love Helen.  I gave her one of the books in a series of volumes of my favorite story, The Peasants.  It took me years to collect all four books because they're old and out of print, and it was a tremendous task to get the right translation of it.  The author won the Nobel Prize for literature for this work.  I hope she likes it because she is one of the few people to whom I would even consider loaning the books.  Took me too long to collect them, they're eighty years old and very fragile.....but the story is so awesome and the writing so musical, I had to share it with her.  I hope she'll ask for the next volume in the future.

Anyhow, I haven't read a newspaper in four days, watched the news, or had any inkling of the outside world.  I was too wrapped up in fun and sisterhood.  Aren't I the lucky one!







No comments: