Saturday, February 4, 2012

February Continues to be Balmy

Well, we're just enjoying a mild winter here in Wisconsin.  Of course, we are shoving to the back of our thought processes the reality that global warming is endangering the planet.  Yes, I am happy to get a reprieve from a normal Wisconsin winter.  No, I'm not foolish enough to believe that this is a good thing.  No snow.  No freeze.  No good.

I'm going to New Orleans to celebrate spring.  Hurricanes (in a glass), Antoine's, Cafe du Monde and $5 shrimp cocktails for lunch.  Of course, it would be better if I was actually escaping Wisconsin's normally gray climate, but I love New Orleans, so it doesn't really matter.  It is just hard to believe that last year at this time, my husband and I and our good friends were housebound, waiting for a plane that could take us to Costa Rica.  Snowed in for four days.  As we  finally sat on the tarmac, watching the snow swirl outside the window, listening to my husband rant that we'd never get out of Wisconsin while the de-icers were working on the plane, it really hit home that we are all subject to mother nature's whims.  So we really ought to stop tying her up and raping her.

Finally, I'm taking a drawing class and today will be class 2.  Unfortunately, my homework assignment is about on a par with the drawings some of the kindergartners create at my school.  I'm very curious to see just what my teacher can teach me about drawing.  Basically, my artistic talents lies elsewhere, but it's tres cool to walk around with a sketch pad.  As long as no one asks to take a peek.

Today is respite.  Respite from Wisconsin politics.  Respite from the stress of a new job.  Respite from all things demanding.

Have a good Saturday everyone.  Until we all get months of Sundays!

No comments: