Monday, May 2, 2011

Osama bin Laden is Still Dead

I understand how people (mostly Americans) are overjoyed that the elusive terrorist Osama bin Laden is dead, killed by a team of Navy Seals in Pakistan.   What makes me shake my head in disbelief is the jumping for joy, glee in the streets, American celebration, captured in media photographs.  Yeah, Osama bin Laden was an evil mastermind of anti-American plots.  But the fact is, we look as stupid as any fanatical sect when we celebrate with joy, the death of anyone. 

bin Laden is dead.  He can't plot against the United States anymore.......but his legacy lives on in the ranks of Al Qaida.  I'm afraid of further destabilization of the world.  I'm afraid that where there's one bin Laden, there are seventy more fanatics looking to step up into his shoes.

I'm afraid that Americans don't realize that acts of terrorism are never about one person, one ideal, one set of beliefs versus another. 

I'm afraid that my belief, that a nation engaged in an effort to improve the human condition, doesn't have to worry about terrorist acts, will never come to pass.  As long as we're imperialistic, we're going to invite terrorist attacks.  As long as power is our game, powerful negative impact will be our result.

No comments: